What would Jesus do for a Klondike Bar?

I am a recent Cabrini College graduate who had been accepted into the Cabrini Mission Corps. I was asked to leave on August 13th, and my life was thrown into chaos. What was supposed to be my journey of the year of service is now a journey of figuring out how I fit in the big scheme of things and my job as a high school teacher and cmapus minister.

Name:
Location: Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Laughing, Cryng, Updating....

This time last year I was embarking on a journey I had no idea if I could even handle. 10 months later I completed a wonderful year at Trenton Catholic Academy. They chose to not renew my contract. They hired a fellow who I had actually worked with at TCA to bring a Kairos retreat to the students. He can teach more classes, and has a masters in Theology. The truly shameful thing about it on the school's part is that the students were the ones who told me they had already hired him for the next year. My students found out in an awful way and were devastated. I've been working all summer to get them to give him a chance this year. I love them so much, and would sincerly do anything those special kids needed.

I was unemployed, again, and I searched New Jersey, Philadelphia, and even contemplated picking everything up and just moving to New Orleans, or Boston, Europe even crossed my mind once or twice. But something kept me back. I wasn't ready to run away again. So I spent the summer in front of my computer applying to every campus ministry/DRE/youth minister position I could. I went from St. Agnes in West Chester to St. Elizabeth ann Seton in Three Bridges, NJ, to Limerick, PA, to Belmar, NJ. I fell in love with so many of the jobs but each one systematically turned me down. Most were for lack of experience or education. I have a BA in Religious Studies, I graduated in 2006.

All this time I was still getting the paycheck from TCA, as it was much easier to get year round paychecks then save money during the year. My last paycheck will be issued today. I got a part-time job at a church I originally did not send my resume to because it was only part-time. Someone from my young adult prayer/bible group encourage dme and informed me the job actually offers benefits. I was finally able to get sick!! The church, St. Albert the Great in Huntingdon Valley, has already been so welcoming so I changed my own worship sight to there.

Thursday night I got a phone call from the Pauline book store on Route 1 in the Northeast. They are offering me the part-time sales associate position. I am fully employed. God took my time and made me be on my own for the summer, but I can make it.
The hardest part of this entire summer was when I was going to Buffalo with the Trenton Diocese for the Black Catholic Congress (I know, crazy, but 80% of TCA kids identify as black in some way). My mom had a minor stroke and there was nothing I could do. I had to give her up, and trust that when I got back 3 days later everything would be ok. She is back to as normal as normal will ever be now. My dad is unreliable now, so my mom showed me the paperwork that makes me in charge of her health decisions. What a reality check that was.
This wound up so much longer then I meant it, but with summer's end this weekend I've been getting nostalgic and happy that this awful summer is over. I have grown so much, but that doesn't make it less painful or less scary. this year promises to be a good one.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new job and I hope your mother has a full recovery from the stroke. Everything happens for a reason so enjoy the career change and see where it takes you =)

9:03 PM, December 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home